Aug 8, 2012

More Decorating for Aria and Her Big Girl Room


It's been a few days since I've blogged, and it's because of all the insanity going on here. We're hopefully and FINALLY! moving this weekend, so I've been busy boxing up things and distracting Aria from the fact that her toys are mysteriously disappearing into boxes which she's not allowed to open. But today, my mom took Aria up to the water park by their house and I have the whole day to myself. I've been Pinteresting and lounging around all day. I know I should be doing laundry or packing up more stuff, but it's so nice to have a little alone time. Anyways, all that to say, I can find time to blog today :)

For Aria's birthday, I wanted to get her something she would actually use and not be just another cast-off toy. She has a lot of those, and I didn't feel like wasting my money on a 5 minute diversion. So when I saw this adorable chair at HomeGoods, I couldn't resist.
Aria's new chair. How cute, right?
And yes, it's a rocker!!
There are fewer things that Aria loves more than sitting in a chair, reading books and rocking. Oh, how she loves to rock. And this chair fits her perfectly, and it's just too cute. I got a good price on it, and knew she would fall in love with it - and she did. How could she not?!

Wall paint idea
But now, I had to rethink my original plans for her room. I posted a couple months ago some inspiration pictures for her "big girl room" and I still really love those. But the lime green didn't really fit in with the teal and pink I had planned. At first, I just decided to switch the color scheme; teal and hot pink are easy to turn to lime green and hot pink, right? Well, after that, a few other ideas started morphing, and now I'm thinking of going an entirely different direction. I have to be really careful, because the room she'll be staying in is quite small, and I don't want to over power it with too much color, or too much going on on her walls. I decided to stick to color on just one accent wall, and it will be a punch of color. What do you think?

Because that wall is quite saturated in color, I'm probably just going to paint her furniture white, although I've been toying with the idea of painting the drawers a different color than the base... maybe a white base with lime green drawer fronts? Still thinking. I'm also going to redo her lamp. It's a pretty lamp and worked perfectly in her nursery, but it will need a face-lift if it's going to fit into her big girl bed.
How cute is this print? It's a bed sheet,
but I'm sure I could turn it into a
lamp shade cover....
You can see the lamp in the background of this picture of her current nursery. >>

The lamp base is going to get a coat of lime green and I'm going to re-cover the lamp shade with some fun pattern in hot pink. Maybe a damask or chevron? We'll see what I can find for cheap :)

Lastly, I'm going to remove the backing of Aria's current white bookcase and Mod Podge some brightly colored scrapbook paper on the back to make it fun and add some more color to the room without overtaking it. I also really want to do a cute and fun window treatment, but since it's been a couple months since we've actually been in the house, I can't completely remember the size/shape of the window in there, so I'm going to wait to make a decision about that until we move in.

I'm thinking about adding some funky Parisian touches as well. 

Hobby Lobby's hot pink
Eiffel Tower. Love the airiness
and fun of it.
How cute would a spray-painted metal Eiffel Tower be sitting on a white dresser? Something like this from Hobby Lobby? >>
I may also put some mirrors on her closet doors to make the room lighter and feel a bit bigger. 

How do you make your kid's smaller rooms feel bigger while still fitting their personality? I still want her room to be fun for her and place she likes to be, even though it's small.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your input and experiences!