Oct 21, 2011

Small Business Christmas Challenge

As we're gearing up to tackle the holidays head-on, we're usually saving money ahead of time, shopping early or spreading it out, using layaway or any other method we can to ease the emptiness of our wallets that buying gifts for everyone entails. We're scraping together money and.... blowing it at big department stores.

 Now, don't get me wrong: I love my trips to Meijer with Aria, as my regular readers know, but when you think about it, wouldn't it be awesome to be supporting other people's Christmas shoping by simply doing our own Christmas shopping? Instead of running to Walmart, Meijer or Kmart, check out that family owned bookstore or toy store. Give a gift certificate to a local non-chain restaurant (they usually have better food anyways!) Or (my personal favorite!) find direct sales reps. in your area that can help you out. Between Avon, Mary Kay, Dove ChocolateThirty-oneScentsy and Uppercase Living you can get tons of your gifts crossed off your list, and help a work-at-home-mom provide for her family's Christmas (and yes, most of these companies now offer some great gifts for men and kids as well!) If you click on the names of the direct sales companies I gave above, they'll take you to the sites of ladies I like to work with and my own site.

Now, you may feel as though I'm tooting my own horn here, but what I'm really saying is support any small business out there. You don't have to buy from my particular small business (although I appreciate it!) - just find one that you'd like to support. Ladies that run their business remember their good customers, and trust me, the service you get from them will be far better than what you get at a chain department store, because they need your business and will work hard to keep it!

My challenge to you is to find at least one gift on your Christmas list from a small business, whether it's a family owned shop downtown or a friend from college who sells from her home. Then share here! Tell me what you bought and about your experience - will you do it again? and why?

Remember, small business ownership is one of the things that makes the economy of our country work. So put it to work for you! :)

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this! As a small business owner myself I love being able to support small buisnesses and lcoal when at all possible. I so apprecaite the ability to own my own business and want to work with other women who do the same. (Love so much I included a link on my facebook page and my business page) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I just hope more people see the importance of supporting local business owners. Helping small businesses helps strengthen the middle class and closes the gap between economic classes. Plus, you're directly helping another family, and usually getting a better quality product! It's all win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! Thanks for helping to spread the word. The key to rebuilding our economy is supporting the small business owners who are such an essential part of our financial infrastructure. I'll be having a "Direct Selling Only" holiday for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FABULOUS! <3 I do hope more people take advantage of small/women owned businesses this year! I know I FOR SURE am...such unique and fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the piece! I couldn't agree more! I trumpeted the same idea on my blog piece, "Direct Selling Only This Holiday Season". http://mypaperly.blogspot.com/2011/10/direct-selling-only-this-holiday-season.html

    Thanks for helping the cause.

    Regards,
    Jay Rudman, CEO, Paperly (www.Paperly.com)
    The leading direct seller of personalized stationery & gifts

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your input and experiences!