Oct 24, 2012

My Hungry Little Monster

And no, the title doesn't refer to K, although he does eat like a horse. Actually, I'm referring to A-bug, who seems to think that the kitchen is her own personal buffet as of late. Now, she's always loved to eat - that's never been a debate. But she's never eaten this much, even during growing spurts. She had eaten 3 full meals by 3 pm today, and that's not including all the food she asked for that I wouldn't give her. I honestly think if I would let her, she'd eat her own weight in peanut butter. She's also figured out that she can now open the refrigerator, which has been an endless source of pain in my rear. Thank goodness all the drawers and shelves are out of her reach because we have a bottom-mounted freezer.

I'm wondering if this frequent snacking/food inhalation has anything to do with the fact that she sees baby K eating all the time, and she wants in on the fun. I've noticed that she is particularly susceptible to hunger right when I sit down to feed him. This is especially inconvenient since I'm nursing him... very difficult to nurse and make a peanut butter sandwich at the same time.

How do you approach a kid who wants to eat constantly? Do you feed them whenever they want, despite what they've eaten already or what time it is? How much is enough? A isn't in any danger of being obese by any stretch of the imagination, but we are in danger of going broke if she doesn't slow down on the peanut butter... 


"YAY FOOD TIME!"

1 comment:

  1. It is hard! You certainly don't want to not be feeding them if they're legitimately hungry. But often they're not really hungry - they're bored, or they just WANT something, or someone else is eating so they think it's a good idea...

    I have no real answers, just sympathy. (And oh, boy, the peanut butter! We have been going through about 40 oz. of peanut butter a WEEK. And peanut butter is not cheap anymore!)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your input and experiences!