Oct 4, 2012

The Arrival of Mr. K

As many of you may (or may not, who knows?) already know, the long-awaited Mr. K has made his appearance on this earth. His arrival was quite unexpected and quick, so we've needed a couple extra days to settle in and get things done than I had previously planned on, but I'm finally getting the chance to sit down and blog. I'll keep the gruesome details to a minimum... ok, so it really wasn't that gruesome. In fact, things went incredibly smooth, all things considering. I mean, it is labor... I don't think anyone actually enjoys the experience. But really, things couldn't have gone better.

So here's Mr. K's birth story.... We were hanging out with J's brother and sister-in-law on Saturday night. We were going to have one last bonfire before the weather got too cold, drink cider and eat caramel apples. My mom and I had recently spent hours cleaning out and unpacking our basement, so I decided to show off all our hard work to my sister-in-law. While we were standing in admiring the fact that we could see the floor, my water broke. This caught me totally off guard, since with A, my water didn't break until about 1/2 hour before she was born. I ran up to the bathroom to confirm that this was indeed what had happened, and make sure I wasn't actually suffering from acute and severe incontinence. Not surprisingly, it was the former. 

I'm very thankful that our family happened to be there, because it really helped to have someone entertain A while we got everything packed up and ready to go. At this point, we were quite certain we would not be coming back without our 4th member of the family. We had already made arrangements for A to go to my in-laws when I went into labor, and she was dancing all over the house in excitement about heading to Grandma and Papa's house so late at night. All the way over to their house, she was wanting to see a "choo-choo train," and I was praying rather hard, for the first time ever, that she not get her heart's desire. Fortunately, we got her dropped off and to the hospital at about 8:30 pm without any train delays. 

The next few hours are rather boring... I checked into triage, they confirmed I was in fact in active labor, they blessed me with the modern miracle of an epidural, my parents arrived and... we waited. A lot. Everyone else slept at some point during the night, but the epidural had made me so itchy that I couldn't relax. And I was very excited about getting to meet my baby boy. The waiting is the hardest part. You feel like you've been waiting for 9 months, and then you're just sitting there, waiting again, knowing the end is so close and you're going to get to meet your little one so soon. Each hour feels like an extra trimester. 

Finally, at about 6am it was time to push. Again, no gruesome details, but you know how it goes. The nurses kept trying to get me to wait to push because my Dr wasn't there yet (she was delivering a baby in the next room over,) but I knew he was getting impatient and was going to come ASAP. Sure enough, after only 15 minutes of pushing, at 6:32 am, Kylar Joshua Wardell was born. He's a lil' dude - 6 lbs. 8 oz. (the same exact weight as his big sister!) and either 20.5 or 19 inches long... the hospital and pediatrician disagreed, so we'll stick with 20.5 for now, since that's official. Either way, he's perfect. I couldn't be more blessed with a beautiful, healthy baby boy.

Mr. K was able to meet most of his in-state family that day, including his big sister, but that's another post all together. Here are some of the pictures from one of the best days of my life :)

First picture on the outside :) Such a calm little boy!

Daddy holding his little man for the first time <3

First family picture (minus A-bug.) I love how
he's peering over the blanket here.

Snuggling with my boy. And
sleeping... one of the only times lol.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your input and experiences!