Dec 2, 2011

Better Than You Could Ever Know

Recently, I was taken back by a very passive-aggressive Facebook status directed towards me. Now, I normally avoid controversy on my FB page at all costs, because it's just not something I'm comfortable with or deal well with. I tend to keep my page free from political references and provocative or controversial religious statements, but rather use it for communication with family and friends. But here was something pointed at me. I was hurt that someone who considered themselves my "friend" would do something like that, but more hurt because what she said wasn't really true or relevant to anyone's life. I'm sure very few people knew she was referring to me, but it was hurtful nonetheless. (For the record, we are no longer FB "friends" and it is quite doubtful she will ever read this.)

All this got me thinking (and probably worried me far more than I ever should have let it.) People will criticize your life, your decisions and your choices your whole life. Maybe they're close friends trying to help you out, or maybe they're spiteful people just trying to be hurtful, and you need to remove them from your life. But no one, no matter how hurtful, "powerful," or malicious their actions can take away the true happiness that you have found in Christ and that you have created in your family. Your happiness is not theirs to take. Your contentment is not up for grabs. Your peace of mind should never be given away because of a hateful comment someone makes.

I love my life. I have a fabulous husband who I love and who loves me dearly. I have a wonderful, beautiful daughter who makes my day just by smiling at me. I have some truly fantastic friends who are loyal and who love me for all my quirks and weirdness. I have a forever-patient Jesus, who always has His arms open, ready to take me in and hear my cries. No one can take that from me. These things I listed, they cannot be purchased, just like they can't be stolen.

This may seem random and rambling, but here's what I'm trying to say: Don't let someone who really knows nothing about you or your family effect your outlook on life. Don't let them get into your head and make you anxious or doubtful. This can so easily happen as parents, I think (or maybe it's just me.) Someone just makes a brief (maybe seeming innocuous) comment about your kid, your parenting or your family, and it sends you reeling. It did me. But I had to sit down and remind myself that God has given me this great life and these great people in my life. My God is bigger than a rude comment. His love is bigger than a stupid mistake. His mercies are new every morning. He is faithful. People will fail. People will be stupid. Love God, and raise your family how He will have you. It's no one else's business anyways. Your life is probably better than they will ever know.
How could I not be happy when this much happiness greets me every morning?
I wish I had this kind of excitement for life!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry someone was hurtful to you. But great attitude! I enjoy your blog. Keep at it. :)

    --Trisha Priebe

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your input and experiences!