Jan 9, 2012

Jesus, Friend of Sinners

This song has been on my mind since it was released a couple months ago. I have never heard a song that more aptly describes and diagnoses the problem with modern Christianity - we have lost the love that Jesus had for the world He came to die for. Our little bubbles of Christianity at church, school and online have made us forget that Jesus came because we are all sinners, guilty of death; that every single one of us is as bad as the next. Yet despite our horrible condition and disgusting rejection of God's grace, He still loved us enough to die. This Love calls for our Love in return, not our rules or our fear. No relationship can be based on fear and rules; a true, real and healthy relationship with anyone - husband, children, friend and esp. God - must be built on love and trust.

I hope this song is as great of an encouragement and yet rebuke to you as it has been to me.

Jesus, Friend of sinners, we have strayed so far away
We cut down people in your name, but the sword was never ours toswing.Jesus, friend of sinners, the truth's become so hard to see;The world is on their way to You, but they're tripping over me.Always looking around but never looking up, I'm so double minded.A plank eyed saint with dirty hands and a heart divided.
Oh, Jesus, friend of sinners,Open our eyes to the world at the end of our pointing fingers.Let our hearts be led by mercy,Help us reach with open hearts and open doors.Oh, Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks Yours.
Jesus, friend of sinners, the One whose writing in the sandMakes the righteous turn away and the stones fall from their hands.Help us to remember we are all the least of thieves;Let the memory of Your mercy bring your people to their knees.
Nobody knows what we're for only what we're against when wejudge the wounded.What if we put down our signs crossed over the lines and loved likeYou did?

Oh, Jesus, friend of sinners,Open our eyes to the world at the end of our pointing fingers.Let our hearts be led by mercy,Help us reach with open hearts and open doors.Oh, Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks Yours.
You love every lost cause; you reach for the outcast,For the leper and the lame; they're the reason that You came.Lord, I was that lost cause, and I was the outcast,But You died for sinners just like me, a grateful leper at Your feet.
'Cause You are good, You are good And Your love endures foreverYou are good, You are good, and Your love endures forever.You are good, You are good, and Your love endures forever.You are good, You are good, and Your love endures forever.

5 comments:

  1. That's on of my favorite CC's songs. When Erin B. was here I made her listen to it. The words just blow you away and really put things in place! The other one is City on the Hill on the same CD. Glad Mark Hall knows what serving Jesus is really all about. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME SONG! Weird, I have never heard this one before. Such powerful message. And something that convicts! Oh, may I never be beyond conviction!
    Thanks for the post! Love your fired up self! {Love ya even when you're not all fired up!!}

    ReplyDelete
  3. "City on a Hill" is another fantastic track on that CD. Mark is really not afraid to say the tough things. If we could stop fighting with each other and see what Jesus really wanted His gospel to be about, how He wanted His disciples to act, I think we would be given so much more power in Christ. Because of the desire of God for men to have free-will, the heart and actions of calloused Christians keep people from searching for Christ. As Ghandi said (paraphrased), I love your Christ, it's Christians who I don't like. I find that very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard this song either, but it's such an important message that too many Christians lose sight of!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this song Kara...I'm pretty sure it's my favorite right now.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your input and experiences!