Jan 24, 2012

What's for dinner?

For a while, I had gotten into a really good groove of meal planning ahead of time, doing all the grocery shopping for the week's meals and cracking out some yummy food. And then Christmas happened. As wonderful a holiday as it is, it can really throw you off your schedule when it comes to routines around the house etc. We were eating leftovers, grabbing Wendy's on our way to here there and everywhere and pigging out at family Christmas parties. And then once the new year started, I didn't pick back up with things the way I should have. And then it got cold. Very, very cold. And I have zero motivation to leave my warm home when it's cold out. Thus, I kept pushing off grocery shopping.

But this weekend, we were getting desperate. We were down to just a few more salvageable meals from the stuff in my pantry and freezer, and I think Josh was getting tired of the whole "what's for dinner?" ... "I dunno, what's in the fridge" routine. So yesterday, I made my meal plan and today Aria and I forged out into the cold to go grocery shopping.

Now, I have healthy meals planned out for the rest of the week. Some meals I will make double of to freeze and use again next week. I also bought additional ingredients to use the meat in my fridge, which previously had no date to take to my dinner table. Tonight, we're just doing a staple around our house - spaghetti with meatballs, salad and french bread. Tuesdays are kinda nuts, since Josh doesn't get home till around 8. Easy is better on Tuesdays. Tomorrow will be chicken sausage and penne with sauteed veggies - one of Josh's personal favorites. Thursday is our lone "every man for himself" day, because that's the day I work, run Aria home to the babysitter, and then meet Josh for Bible study, which goes till 9:30. Friday will have yummy pork loin roasts with potatoes and veggies. Saturday is special this week, because we'll be in The City to celebrate a friend's birthday. And that's our week in a foodie nutshell.

Do you meal plan? How often do you go grocery shopping? What are your family's meal favorites? Is anybody out there interested in doing a "Family Favorites Recipe Swap" for a blog post?


Spaghetti with  meatballs is my ultimate comfort food.
It's also tonight's dinner :)


1 comment:

  1. I'd love to try a recipe swap ~ I will tell you though, that I am NOT a healthy cook. We like LOTS of butter and fried stuff. I would love recipes to make things a little more healthy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your input and experiences!