Sep 21, 2012

Decorating on a Budget: Fall Decor Edition

So, if you haven't figured out that I absolutely LOVE Autumn, you haven't read enough recent blog posts. There are so many beautiful ways to decorate for Fall, and another bonus is that you can leave it all up from September till Thanksgiving. That's almost 3 months of seasonal decor done in one fell swoop, which is awesome for busy moms like me.

Before, when we were living in the apartment, we were so cramped, the extent of my Fall decorating was hanging a scare crow on our door, switching out the fake flowers in my kitchen's vase and setting out the Fall edition Reese's. Kinda sad. But not this year! This year I have a house to decorate! And I am so excited about this fact! My hubby (and his wallet)? ....not so much. So here's part of what I did in my living room for Fall this year to stay on budget while appeasing my inner Candice Olson.


The pumpkins are slightly unbalanced in this pic because
Aria had been playing with them right before I snapped this.

First off, I have an automatic advantage when decorating for both Fall and Christmas because my living areas are already green with pops of red. This was not intentional, but I will say it makes giving off a seasonal  ambiance for both of these major decorating seasons a lot easier. I got the candle holders at Ikea for CHEAP and couldn't love them more. They have a ton to choose from, and you can see all their candle holder options here. Mine are the dark brown finish, but they also have a white option that could conceivably be spray painted any other color you need. I also got the candles at Ikea for an awesome price - $10 for a 3 pack of the red candles and the white block candle was $5, I believe. I have not found another place on the planet where you can get candle holders and candles for that cheap. I got my pumpkins and faux leaf garland at Hobby Lobby for 40% off...I think I paid a total of $30 for all 3 pumpkins and the garland. The awesome thing about this is that I can just take the pumpkins and garland down, and swap out snowmen and twinkle lights for Christmas/Winter with the same candles and holders.

A lot of times, the key to budget decorating is getting great pieces on sale that you can use for multiple seasons (like the candles and their holders), and then buying clearance for the strictly seasonal items at the end of the season (think Fall decor in December, Christmas in January etc.) Investing in some nice silk flowers that you can swap out for the different seasons is a nice way to go as well. I get mine at Hobby Lobby when they go on sale for 50% off, which is rather frequently. Something else to invest in for ALL seasons is a set of glass hurricanes. They can be used for every season, and always look classy. They can also easily be moved around to make a nice centerpiece for a dinner party, or up and out of the way when the kids are having a play date. Here are some great examples of glass hurricanes filled for Fall. You should also check out this lady's Pinterest board strictly for glass hurricane decor. It's awesome. 



 See? Super versatile, and there are different styles for everyone. You can get them for cheap at places like Michael's, Hobby Lobby and sometimes even Meijer.

How easy is this? Leaf placemats from
Walmart that were stuffed.
Easy-Peasy.
Source Link
I'm really loving this page from the Better Homes and Gardens online magazine - pretty much all their ideas can be done for relatively cheap, some even for free! (A glass vase and branches with colored leaves? Does it get easier than that?!) Acorns are free if you can track them down at the park with the help of your kids (turn it into a game, they'll love it.) Baby pumpkins can be bought for about a buck from a farmer's market, and those can even be spray painted to match any non-traditional colors you're decorating with. And while twine and burlap may not be free, they can be used over and over again, so they're worth spending some money on.

Here are some other great Autumn decorating ideas that I'm loving from Pinterest right now.

These candle holders are
GORGEOUS, and can be
used all year long. The pillar
candles are mounted
right into the baby pumpkins,
which have been spray painted.


Again with the glass hurricanes -
unpopped popcorn, silk leaves,
twine and pillar candles. Bam. 

Finally, switching out the pictures in your picture frames can actually make a big difference. (Mine aren't up on the wall, so I will try and explain to you what I mean.) If you're like me, and try to get family pictures during every season, you'll notice a trend in the coloring of your pictures. Fall pictures usually have lots of browns, reds and golds. This is perfect if you're sticking with traditional colors for Fall decor.  This also applies for Christmas and Spring time. Swapping out color coordinated family photos is a simple way to give more of that seasonal feel to your home. If you don't have any yet, take some this year, and you'll be set for next year :)

Remember, you can see my entire Pinterest board for learning to decorate on a budget here! 

1 comment:

  1. I love these ideas and already do several of them. Thanks for sharing. I especially love the idea of using the hurricane vases.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your input and experiences!