Sep 17, 2012

Waiting for Fall...

Here in Michigan, Fall lasts about 2 weeks. Not even lying. So sometimes, we have to pretend it's Autumn, even when it really isn't quite yet. Like now. It's been in the 70's for the past week or so, which is a definitely step in the cooler direction from the 90's we've been having all summer, but it's still not Fall yet. But I LOVE Fall. I love the smell of the leaves falling and the trees getting ready to fall asleep for winter. I love the pumpkin and apple cider flavored foods and drinks, and the fact that it's ok to put caramel on EVERYTHING in the Fall. I love sweaters without big coats, scarves without gloves, and hats without earmuffs. I think I love it so much because it reminds me of my favorite time of day - dusk. The calm before everything falls asleep, the noise of the crickets, the sudden cool down. Essentially, Autumn is the dusk of the year. And I love it.

This is the first year we will have our own yard to rake up into piles of leaves, whether to burn them into that delicious scent or to jump in them and turn into 7 year olds again. I'll be able to dress A all up in her flannel clothes (of which we have a lot, due to living in the frozen tundra of the north) and let her go run and play with all the crunchy "leebs." She will love it. I also can't wait to take her back to the cider mill for ""do-no's" and fun with pumpkins. We both seem to have an obsession with pumpkins right now, although mine is mainly in the decor and food area, and A just wants to throw them everywhere.

If you haven't figured out by now, I'm one of the most sentimental people on the planet. I want to turn every little thing into a memory, and take approximately 382 pictures of said activity. This desire has only gotten stronger during this pregnancy. I think I'm driving my husband crazy. Because of this desire to make every moment count, I've been spending lots of time after A goes to bed on Pinterest, trying to get all the greatest Fall activities on our calendar before I have baby K. I want to make sure that I spend as much one-on-one time with the A-bug before her little world is turned upside down. I want more mommy-daughter time, even though she'll never remember it.

So....what are some of your favorite Fall activities to do with your kids? Growing up, my favorite tradition was going to the apple orchards of mid-Michigan, but in southeast suburbia, there's not a lot to choose from. I'm still looking for one that has all the fun activities that I enjoyed as a kid. I also used to spend HOURS with my grandpa raking leaves and jumping in the piles when I was a kid, and those memories are so precious to me, especially now that he's passed on. I love sipping caramel apple cider, eating caramel apples and making yummy caramel cookies. (I'm really needing some caramel about now...) I just want A to have these fun memories, too... So what are your favorite memories? Traditions? Are you trying something new with your kids this Autumn? Let me know! There may be an upcoming contest for Fall Family Fun coming soon... * hint hint* ;)

Pictures from last Fall






3 comments:

  1. We carve pumpkins together as a family, go trick or treating around our neighborhood, then go to the church I grew up in for their "Fall Festival".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved raking leaves and jumping in them as a kid. I'd love to start the tradition of picking apples every fall, but haven't gotten to that yet. My favorite part about fall is getting to make pumpkin bread - yep, love the food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We go hiking and look at leaves, then go home and eat taffy apples and drink cider. Very yummy and beautiful! Good time to pictures with friends/family as well!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your input and experiences!