Sep 17, 2012

Mini Play Date

Our good friend Kara nannies for this adorable little almost-2 -year-old, and today they came over for a mini play date before nap time. I always worry about A when it comes to play dates, because she's really not around other kids her age all that much, and I'm worried about how she'll share (or not share...) Today she was in a sharing mood, apparently. She did very well letting little Colin play with her toys, which is a big deal. She's pretty possessive, and tends to get confused when other kids play with her toys, especially her books or puzzles. But today, she did just fine. Until....

We had just finished snack and Colin had eaten lunch. A was running in and out of the screen door playing with Kara's dog, Lincoln. No problems, really. Then she hauls off and hits Colin on the head. Now granted, she's barely 2, and it didn't seem to hurt Colin at all; he just gave her a funny look. But she hit him. And that's just not something we do in our family. We do not physically hit, ever. So... I tell A to give Colin a hug and say "sorry." She runs the opposite direction, saying "no no no no!" Something else we don't do in our family. Finally, I'm able to corral her back into the kitchen, and she gives Colin a hug and says "sorry." You would think all would be well, but alas, in all their 2 year old clumsiness, they fell over while giving each other a hug. This produced more tears from A, and it was about this second that we decided the play date was over.

I'm sitting here typing this as A is in bed for nap time, hoping and praying that this hitting thing was a one time fluke, and - even more so - that she's not doing this when I'm not around. I'm really not sure why she hit him, and since she's 2, she may very well have not had a reason. I'm starting to see a trend in actions with no reason from her. And there's just no logic in asking a 2 year old, "why in tarnation did you do that?!"

Did you child ever go through a hitting or biting phase? Or maybe they had another inexplicable, destructive habit. Like I said, I'm hoping this is a one time thing, but what are we going to do if it isn't? Especially if there's no rhyme or reason for her behavior? If and when I figure this little conundrum out, I'll let you know. Not making any promises, though....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your input and experiences!