Jul 8, 2012

Family Favorite Recipe: Spaghetti Carbonara

When I went to Europe in 2006, one of my favorite things as a foodie, was enjoying all the different flavors and dishes in European cuisine. My favorite dish ended up being one of the most simple things I ate there, Spaghetti Carbonara. I'm a huge pasta fan anyways, but when you add even more cheese and prosciutto (basically Italian bacon) it only gets better.

Recently my mom discovered a super easy recipe for this yummy dish and it's now a family favorite. It takes me no longer than 1/2 hour max to mix it all together. Because it's SOO easy that even I can make it, I thought I would share so maybe you and your family can enjoy a little bit of Italy :)
(Full Disclosure: this is not in any way a healthy dish. At all.)

You'll need Spaghetti, 1 lb of either prosciutto (if you want to be really authentic) or bacon (which is also yummy,) grated Parmesan cheese, a couple eggs and salt and pepper to taste. Yep, that's all. Like I said, super easy.

~ First, make up your spaghetti like normal. Nothing special there.
~ Next, fry up your bacon or prosciutto. This is easily done on a cookie sheet inside your oven, since 1lb is a lot to fry up all at once. Trust me on this one. SAVE YOUR BACON GREASE!
~ Chop your bacon up into bite-sized pieces.
~ Add about 1/2 cup, give or take, of the grated parm to your bacon grease and stir it together. Now slowly add your 2 eggs to the grease and cheese mixture. (If you do this in the wrong order or too quickly, you will scramble your eggs. Not yummy.)
~ Add your bacon and grease/cheese/egg mixture to the spaghetti and stir well.
~ Enjoy.

Seriously, that's it. If your family so desires, you can add saute'd mushrooms or peppers as well. I'm not a huge fan of either, but those in my family who are have enjoyed both variations.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your input and experiences!