Jul 24, 2012

Passing down the memories: simple summers

Like I mentioned in my previous post about our vacation to West Virginia, there are some memories that I have as a child that I'm getting to pass down to Aria now, and that makes me so happy. Times have changed so much even in the past 20 years (does that make me sound old?) and I still want to be able to teach my kids to enjoy the simpler things in life like an uncomplicated trip to the mountains, watching her daddy play softball and the current favorite, splashing in a cool pool on a ridiculously hot summer day.
Finding an empty school playground to
play on during cooler evenings is a great
way to make fun (and cheap!) memories.
Another one of my favorite parts of summer growing up was enjoying all the fresh fruits that come along with the warmer weather, specifically berry picking. Now, I know that Aria's probably still a year or two too young to go to a berry patch to pick strawberries or blueberries. She would eat so many that we'd probably get kicked out, not that I didn't come close as a kid, but ya' know. But Aria does love fruit probably more than any other food group (although as the potty training goes on, chocolate chips are becoming a close second.) She goes nuts over blueberries, strawberries and watermelon and has no problem just chewing on a lemon slice - rind and all, if we're not watching carefully. In fact, if I'm not watching her every move some days, I'll find her in the kitchen with the fridge door open, sitting in the middle of the floor eating out of the blueberry container. As cute as it is - and it really is cute - and as healthy of a snack it is, I'm reluctant to let this habit continue, partially because of the blue poop I later have to deal with and partially because of the future ramifications of allowing such refrigerator raiding now.

I can't wait until we have our own backyard and can grow raspberries and strawberries, as well as other veggies she's starting to enjoy - especially if dipping them in ranch dressing is allowed. There's nothing more rewarding than cooking up or snacking on some fruits and vegetables that you helped grow; it was always one of the best parts of the end of summer when I was a kid.

Summer traditions don't have to be complex or complicated. Ours are all relatively simple, but memorable ideas, many taken from our own childhoods. What traditions are you starting with your young ones? Were they part of your childhood as well, or are you starting with fresh memories?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your input and experiences!