Jul 24, 2012

Operation Potty Training: Day 2

Well, I must say, all my fears about Aria peeing everywhere were completely unfounded. Yesterday, she only had one tiny accident in her room while she was playing, and successfully peed on her potty seat 7 times. So far today, she had one even smaller accident on the bathroom floor and has been successful 3 times on her seat. Not bad odds. She really loves the "treat" she gets after every little success and loves using toilet paper almost as much as the chocolate, which I find strange, but hey - she's a 2-year old.

Some things I have not done that are apparently popular are 1) forcing her to drink a lot of fluids and 2) even attempting a clean and dry pull-up during nap and night times. The reason I decided not to force Aria to drink more was simply her personality; she's the type that if you ask her repeatedly to do something (ie - drink more than she wants) she will rebel against everything you ask, and she's doing so well with potty training, I didn't want to ruin that. I also haven't tried a dry nap or night time sleep simply because I don't think she's ready for that yet. She is still getting used to the idea of going on her potty seat and walking around without pants on, and I'm not sure that she's not holding in a lot for when she gets a pull-up on. I don't know this for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Something else that we haven't accomplished yet is a poop on her potty seat yet. I'm not sure when that will come, and I'm kind of dreading any unsuccessful attempt on that front. This has always been the aspect I've been most nervous about, because until just a few months ago, she only went #2 while she was asleep, and there's just no way to train a child with that habit. She's since changed her schedule, but it always made me wonder if she was fighting it for some reason. I guess the answers to those fears are yet to be discovered.

All in all, I'm very proud of her, especially the 2 times where she has explicitly told me that she needed to go. I have worried about her being too young, but it seems we started at just the right time. I'm still wondering how long the actually "training" period should be before we go back to putting pants on her. (The typing of this blog post was briefly interrupted by another accident that occurred because she was too involved in Curious George. Distraction is another obstacle that we'll apparently have to deal with soon.) 

How long of a training period did you use with your kids before they went from pull-ups to "big kid pants?" I s a week unrealistic, or is that a normal time frame? I don't want to rush her, especially since she's still rather young. Any advice on things I'm missing?


Aria sitting on her "designated area" on the couch,
reading bookies. She's bottomless, but I figured this
was a good enough picture ;)




1 comment:

  1. I found pull ups were not the best for training, but a piece of mind for bed time. The thick underware was the best. I also slowed down the drinking of fluids after we had supper. My daughter was trained within 2 months during waking hours without accidents unless she woke up from a nap after a car ride and I didn't pull over fast enough. The boy... had no interest until he was 3 and they he caught on real fast and bed time he grasped real fast, so I knew he could do it during the day too.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your input and experiences!