Jul 18, 2012

Time for another birthday!


I can't believe it's been yet another year in the life of Aria! 2 years, really?! Wow. In fact, just yesterday I was watching some video of just 6 months ago and I couldn't believe how much she's grown up! Her legs have thinned out and lost that "baby fat" look, her hair is so long and her face has really changed from baby-cute to adorable little girl. At least, I think she's adorable :)

This year, we're doing an outside birthday with an old-fashioned theme. Classic games like Pin the Tail on the Donkey, Ladder Golf , Badminton and water balloons will keep things fun and simple. I'm currently working on some vintage decor for a special touch, and everyone will go home with old-fashioned cotton candy-flavored candy sticks as a party favor. Also, since it'll be held at a park with a playground, all the kids can be easily entertained no matter what age-group they fall into.


This is the recipe that I'm
planning on using for the
homemade chicken nuggets.
I'll let you all know how
it works out... or doesn't.
I originally had planned for a rather complex, albeit delicious, menu, but after reviewing it, decided it was a tad more than I could handle even with extra help, so I pared it down to homemade chicken nuggets and grilled chicken, sweet potato fries, a veggie try and a fruit salsa with cinnamon sugar tortilla chips.
I'm hoping the menu will also appease all age groups. I'll also let you know which recipes (from Pinterest, of course) worked, and which did not :D
Mason jars and burlap.
I'll be using pink daisies
for Aria's party.

For decor, I'm planning on using some burlap and mason jars to get the vintage-type feel I want, with pastel pinks, greens and blues to keep it girly. I'd love to do a "prop" or "dress-up" area with boas, necklaces, top hats and cane for the little kids, but haven't ever been to a party with that kind of area - I've only read about it in blogs. Have any of you ever seen or done this successfully? I don't want mad chaos lol.

I'm also still deciding about what to do for a cake. If you're in the US, you probably know that we've been experiencing some of the hottest weather since the Dust Bowl days, and the last thing I need is mountains of melting buttercream. I'm thinking cupcakes may be the way to go.

So anyways, those are just some thoughts and my inspiration for Aria's party. 
The overall look I'm going for
with the jars and burlap, only with
more "girly" colors. 
I already have my wheels turning for next year after seeing some Sesame Street veggies trays, but one party at a time :) 

What have been your most successful parties and their inspiration? Do you always do a theme or operate on favorite foods? Which Pinterest ideas and recipes have worked for you for a large group and which not so much? Having thrown a total of 2 parties in my lifetime, I could use all the help you can give me!


3 comments:

  1. Kara! Sounds like you've got things under control. It's an excellent theme and I have considered doing that type of party myself. I think of my 4 children ages 4 to 16, if they had a party - it was always themed. It's fun and easier for me to plan that way. Pinterest is theeee best help now that we have it! I am currently planning an Angry Birds party for my boy who will be 5 at the end of the month. The food sounds great, but I don't know about making all those chicken nuggets. lol Are you expecting a lot of kids? Will you be grilling the adult chicken there? Cupcakes are very popular and perfect for a part. You can even make little vintage looking flags with toothpicks and make little Pennant type flags with her name on them or some other vintage-y looking topper.
    The jars sound perfect. I am currently helping someone plan a completely vintage wedding. Mason jars and burlap is the theme. It's going to be great! Instead of a cake, she will have a cake top layer, but the rest will be the cupcakes in a jar thing. Found on pinterest. Each jar is decorated with burlap, lace, vintage buttons, etc. That might be something you'd want to do. Can't wait to see more details!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, we're expecting a good amount of kids, so my mom and I have decided to split up the nugget-making process. She's already tried out a couple different recipes to find the best and easiest one, and I think we have one. We'll see lol. And yes, there's a grill at the park that we'll be grilling the adult chicken on lol. I'm hoping to get them in a marinade and Ziploc bag the night before, so they'll be minimum fuss the day of.
      I'm really thinking cupcakes is what we're going to do, especially with it supposed to be in the upper 80's that day.
      I'm hoping it'll turn out as pretty as the picture is that I have in my head :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you're off to a great start! :) I love planning my kids' parties and am in the process of planning a tea party for Carlee's FIFTH bday(!) next weekend.

    The last several parties I have stuck to a theme and I love it. Here's her cowgirl one from last year http://www.purposefulhomemaking.com/2011/08/cowgirl-party-happy-birthday-sweet-love.html and Caleb's owl themed party (2 of my favs so far although this tea party might be right up there too!)http://www.purposefulhomemaking.com/2011/09/happy-birthday-sweet-caleb-its-owl.html
    Have fun, take lots of pics and enjoy the day! :)
    Oh, and yes, cupcakes are great! I started doing that last year instead of my theme cakes: http://www.purposefulhomemaking.com/2010/11/making-cakes.html While they were fun it was a lot more stress and the more kids I've had I have found cupcakes the way to go. I get cute little toppers to tie in the theme and it's WAY easier! :) Can't wait to see the pics from your party!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your input and experiences!