Jul 23, 2012

Operation Potty Training: Day 1

Well, I didn't post about this earlier on the blog, but we have tried potty training once before. Incredibly unsuccessfully. Whenever I would try to sit Aria on her potty seat, she would have a panic attack. The thing that confused me was that she loved sitting on her special froggy potty seat, as long as her pants were on. But as soon as we took her pants and diaper off, she would freak out sitting her bare rear end on the seat. So, all that to say, it was remarkably unsuccessful.

So last week, I sat down and read between 5 and 43 different blogs from moms who were or had recently trained their young toddlers successfully. I read various different methods and creative ideas on how to motivate younger children to leave the diapers behind and enter a brand new world of "big girl pants." The method I decided to start with seemed the most scary and - quite honestly - impractical of all, but everyone who had tried it said it worked surprisingly well. So I decided to give it a shot. Starting today, Aria is not wearing any pants. At all. Her little bare bottom is running around my house completely uncovered. It's scary. I fear for my rug, honestly, and I have blankets and towels down on all the furniture. But here's my thought process - in a few short weeks, this will no longer be my carpet. In a few short weeks, I will be moving into a house with brand new carpet. So I weighed the options - have her potty train on crappy carpet that will not be mine - or anyone else's - very shortly? Or try when I have brand new carpet in my brand new house that I paid very good money for? When I thought about it like that, starting before the move seemed the best idea.

First thing this morning when Aria woke up, I pulled off her diaper and took her right to her potty seat in the bathroom. And she peed in the potty!! I was elated! We cheered, sang and danced! And then Aria got 2 chocolate chips, which then caused her to be elated. We cheered and hugged some more. About every 1/2 hour, I ask her if she needs to potty. She will run to the bathroom every time, but only sits down in she has to go. In fact, 45 minutes after her first successful potty, she stood up from playing, turned to me and said "mommy! potty!" And sure enough, she ran to the potty and went! I was shocked, and, once again, elated. And the elation continued after Aria got her chocolate chips.

Some things that help her - if I'm also sitting on the toilet, she feels better. I could be sitting on the lid, but as long as I'm sitting next to her, she relaxes. Also, asking her every half hour reminds her, even if she doesn't have to go. And again, chocolate chips. Seriously. It's an awesome motivation. I'm only giving her 2, but that's enough to excite her beyond all reason. Another motivation - toilet paper. Nope, I don't get it at all, but getting to use toilet paper is another reward that excites Aria beyond reason.

So, it's only 11:39, Day 1 of Operation: Potty Training, but Aria has successfully peed on the potty 3 times now. I'm thrilled about it, and Aria is eagerly awaiting the next 2 chocolate chips. More updates will come as the week goes on. Successes, failures and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your input and experiences!